Two fashion founders, Valentin von Arnim and Hilary Peterson, speak about their experience and insights on how social media influences shopping and fashion. The consumer is becoming a brand ambassador and the future lies in focusing on regular users and leverage them, according to Peterson. Von Arnim gives one example of technology leveraging customer markets as they got their first online order from a small town in Finland. Von Arnim also points out that Facebook is for him no a platform but rather a space. In order to reach consumers in that space a brand won't be successful by bombarding the people with marketing campaigns. The real importance is to have an emotional attachment with the brand the products rather than selling it as a commodity. Peterson asks von Arnim what his biggest fear is? it is the uncontrollability of Facebook. You can easily have thousand of friend and followers, but it can spiral out of control. Hence, you need have manpower and the people who manage this channel. It doesn't make sense to post bad quality content. Lixandru asks about brand dilution, which is more about brand competence and that is is possible to target different market needs via social media. For Peterson the key success is to adopt early, invest some resources and use them strategically. An opportunity for von Arnim is also the story telling aspect of social media to transfer the emotional feeling of a product. While social media is a powerful channel to reach consumers better it is also very important to keep the authenticity of the *brand to be consistent across all channels.
To link your Twitter account with your DLD profile, we need you to enter your DLD Email and Password. You only do this once.
To link your Facebook account with your DLD profile, we need you to enter your DLD Email and Password. You only do this once.
Mentioned in this live blog
Valentin von Arnim
Iris von Arnim
Iris von Arnim
All DLDwomen13 Blogposts
- Creative Collaboration
- Sleep as a Risk Factor
- Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows
- Learn, Learn, Learn!
- Workshop: The Art of Screwing / Die Feine Art des Vögelns
- Avian intelligence: Innovation skills in tool-using New Caledonian crows and parrots
- Brands Go Social
- How Does Biology Drive Behavior
- Everlasting Love?
- Workshop: "Family Planning for the LGBT Community"
- Passion for Fashion
- Glamour Patterns
- How to Trigger Female Entrepreneuship
- Let's Start Up - Guide to Your Own Business
- It's About Choices - From Contraception to Social Freezing
- Please Walk on the Grass - the Art of Getting Lost and Finding Yourself
- Decisionmaking - Why You Can't Always Get What You Want
- Hurdles of Philanthropy
- Africa Connect
- DLDwomen Impact Award 2013
- Innovation Made in Europe
- Workshop: "Build a Community"
- Images Leading the Way
- Power & Leadership in Changing Times
- How Helping Women Helps the World
- Workshop: "How to Win Men’s Support for Change"
- Forget About Old Boys' Clubs
- Where are Marla Zuckerberg, Mary Jobs and Joan Bezos?
- The Female Quota - A Success Story?
- Workshop: "Living without Fear"
- A True Romance - Digital & Luxury
- Is Media Ruling Our Self-Perception?
- The Athena Doctrine
- Diversity Beyond Gender
- Workshop: "We All Have a Voice. We Just Need to Find It!"
- The Power of Words - A Storyteller's View
- Protection of Personal Data – A European Wake Up Call
- Demo - Detect Your Thoughts, Feelings Emotions!
- Demo - Track Yourself!
- Future of Work - Germany meets Silicon Valley